vastu purush mandala is a diagram depicting the directions and energies present in a building or site according to the principles of Vastu shastra. It is composed of 16 directions, each associated with specific qualities:
Vastu for the home main 8 directions
- North (Uttara): Career, prosperity
- Northeast (Eeshan): Spiritual growth, meditation
- East (Purva): Health, positive energy
- Southeast (Agneya): Fire element, creativity
- South (Dakshina): Fame, Reputation
- Southwest (Nairutya): Natural elements, elimination of negativity
- West (Pashchima): Relationships, Romance
- Northwest (Vayavya): Air element, income opportunities
The intermediate directions are:
- North-northeast: Wealth
- East-northeast: Self-development
- East-southeast: Family happiness
- South-southeast: Good food
- South-southwest: Correction of flaws
- West-southwest: Longevity, inheritance
- West-northwest: Valor, courage
- North-northwest: Learning, education
The central directions are:
- Northeast (Eeshan): The most sacred and important direction. Associated with spiritual enlightenment.
- Southeast (Agneya): Associated with the fire element. Useful for kitchen, and prayer room.
- Southwest (Nairutya): Elimination of negativity. Good for toilets, and septic tanks.
- Northwest (Vayavya): Air element. Good for living and dining.
- The central point or ‘Brahmasthan’: Denotes the balance of energies and soul. Best for meditation.
By properly aligning rooms, entrances, and layout to the vastu chakra, balance, and harmony can be brought to a space.
Vastu for the home 16 directions of the vastu Shakti chakra
Ruled by Kuber, the god of wealth
Best for positioning treasuries, safes, lockers
Keep this area open and unobstructed
Ruled by Shiva and Parvati
Sacred direction, enhances spiritual practice
Good for pooja rooms, meditation areas
Avoid heavy structures here
Ruled by Indra, king of gods
Connected to health and positivity
Ideal for kitchen, dining room, and living spaces
A water body can be built here
Ruled by Agni, the god of fire
Stimulates creativity and passion
Good for kitchen, workspaces
Candles, and lighting can enhance this space
Ruled by Yama, the god of death
Increases fame and public image
Keep lower than the north direction
Good for portraits, nameplates
Ruled by the demon Nirriti
Absorbs negative energies
Ideal for toilets, bathrooms, garbage areas
Avoid bedrooms, and living rooms here
Ruled by Varuna, the god of oceans
Ideal for bedrooms, drawing rooms
Flowing water enhances this space
Ruled by Vayu, the god of wind
Connected to income, prosperity
Good for shops, offices, guest rooms
Keep open, avoid heavy constructions
This junction of the north and northeast is ruled by Kubera and Shiva. It brings wealth and material prosperity if strengthened. Having a safe, locker or cash repository here can enhance finances.
Governed by Indra and Shiva, this zone improves fortune and self-development. It is an excellent direction for meditating and spiritual practice. The placement of empowering, divine images and altars can be beneficial.
This area is influenced by Agni and Indra. It promotes health, harmony, and happiness in the family and relationships. The kitchen is ideally located in this direction with the cooking platform in the east-southeast.
Ruled by Yama and Agni, this direction brings good food and nourishment. It is excellent for the placement of the kitchen stove, cooking appliances, and refrigerator. Proper orientation enhances appetite and digestion.
This junction of the south and southwest is governed by Yama and Nirriti. It helps in the correction of flaws and brings about spiritual healing. You can place an image or idol of Lord Dhanvantari, the god of Ayurvedic medicine here.
Influenced by Varuna and Nirriti, this zone governs longevity and inheritance. It is also connected to ancestors and ancient knowledge. Placing images of grandparents or performing ancestral prayer rituals here can be beneficial.
Ruled by Varuna and Vayu, this direction enhances courage, valor, and protection from enemies. The entrance from the west-northwest is called the shoola door and is considered inauspicious. Avoid having a toilet, garbage area, or large pit here.
Governed by Kubera and Vayu, this area improves learning, education, and constructive hobbies. It is an excellent direction for a home office, library, or children’s study room.